Thursday, April 30, 2009

Tomorrow is my birthday…

Yes, May day.
An international communist holiday.
A pagan feast day (Beltane)
In the Hawiian islands, it's Lei Day

This year, I have decided to get older.

For some years now, I have been 47. It was a good age.
47 is, of course, a prime number, a befitting age for someone in their prime.

But--a problem has come about.. I claim to be 47—but passing for 47 is getting harder with every grey hair!
( I stopped coloring my hair some 4 years ago, and now, instead of blonde, my dishwater grey blonde hair is the pepper of an over all salt and pepper color.)

Another issue is, I have friends who really are (but don’t look it!) 47—well it’s a bit of stretch to look at both of us, and convince yourself we are the same age. I don’t want to force them into lying about their age.

In addition, I knit, and frequent knitting sites--and well, I have been knitting 48 years..(and admit to that!)

Now I took to knitting like a duck to water, but it’s pretty hard to believe that I was so precocious that I was knitting before I was born.

So Tomorrow I am going to acknowledge that I am no longer 47.

The next prime is 53, the prime after that, 59 is too old (I am not yet that old!)

So I’m getting 5 years older tomorrow.

Good bye 47, Hello 53!

(and if you read this blog,and have never commented, gift me with a comment for my birthday, tomorrow!)

12 comments:

wenswoolgathering said...

Happy birthday.

LICraftgal said...

Happy Birthday!!! Gee, were the same age till now!!! Hope you have a great Birthday!!!

gayle said...

Happy birthday!
Not my first comment, but I don't comment often enough.
I've been knitting for 46 years, but didn't learn till I was 9, so not as precocious as you! 8)

Have a very fibery day!

ania said...

Happy Birthday !

Have a great day !

Jane said...

Happy Birthday! Age is just a number, and not an important one at that. Happy Beltane also! Go dance around a Maypole!

Karen said...

Happy birthday Helen!!!

Robyn said...

Happy Birthday! I wouldn't be surprised if you were knitting before you were born....

Have a lovely day - treat yourself to something fun!

XOX, Robyn

Susie said...

Happy Birthday! Hope this is the best one yet.

sjanova said...

What a lovely day for a birthday. A bit rainy this year (assuming you had approximately what we had in the DC area) but most years, it's usually a pretty spring day. Enjoy 53! (Oh, right. I remember 53, I think..... **smile**)

Anonymous said...

A joyous Beltane to you! Happy birthday and you don't look a day over 23! Have a beautiful day, today. Judy

Batty said...

Happy late Birthday~

FugueStateKnits said...

Happy Birthday and to me, you're just a kid:)!
did you know, May 1st is also Law Day in the U.S.? Apparently created as a response to the marching with soldiers and tanks done in the former USSR on May 1st - i.e. to say we are ruled by law, not force.
Maybe some day that will really really be true!
Take care and hope your day was a fun one!
Joan