Friday, August 29, 2008

An Omnivores 100

I just found this little list of The Omnivore's Hundred - a list of 100 things for the adventurous foodie to try over on A Tradition of Quirky Artists-

The idea is you copy and past this list (in your own blog or in the comments section here!) and bold the items you've tried.

I've eaten strange things, (not on this list) and some common place stuff on this list (like spam) have never crossed my lips!

Not on the this list, but on my list are things I have eaten are: boar, ackee, several kinds of roe, (not just caviar), limburger cheese (an other quite aromatic cheese) kelp, carageen (and other sea weeds),red palm oil, falafal, and many other odd foods--most are not part of my regular diet, but, I have learned to at least taste/try things--thought some many foods remain on my "I'll eat, but never cook" list.

As a child, I was somewhat a picky eater--and I still dislike many of my parents favorite foods (french cut green beans, one of my mother's favorites, still make me gag!) --and many of the foods I love, made my mother gag--(onions and nuts come to mind.)

Still, I've tried many of the foods on the list....

1. Venison
2. Nettle tea
3. Huevos rancheros
4. Steak tartare
5. Crocodile
6. Black pudding
7. Cheese fondue
8. Carp
9. Borscht (both Jewish/vegetarian, and Russian/meat kinds)
10. Baba ghanoush
11. Calamari
12. Pho
13. PB&J sandwich
14. Aloo gobi
15. Hot dog from a street cart
16. Epoisses
17. Black truffle
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes
19. Steamed pork buns
20. Pistachio ice cream
21. Heirloom tomatoes
22. Fresh wild berries
23. Foie gras
24. Rice and beans
25. Brawn, or head cheese
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper
27. Dulce de leche
28. Oysters
29. Baklava
30. Bagna cauda
31. Wasabi peas
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl
33. Salted lassi (I’ve had other lassi, but not salted lassi)
34. Sauerkraut
35. Root beer float
36. Cognac with a fat cigar (no cigar of any kind)
37. Clotted cream tea
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O
39. Gumbo
40. Oxtail
41. Curried goat
42. Whole insects (Fried and chocolated covered, and candied (sugar coated))
43. Phaal
44. Goat’s milk (goats milk cheese, yes, but not goats milk)
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more
46. Fugu
47. Chicken tikka masala
48. Eel
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut
50. Sea urchin
51. Prickly pear (and Dragon Fruits)
52. Umeboshi
53. Abalone
54. Paneer
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal
56. Spaetzle
57. Dirty gin martini
58. Beer above 8% ABV
59. Poutine
60. Carob chips
61. S’mores
62. Sweetbreads (once, and I don’t like them)
63. Kaolin
64. Currywurst
65. Durian
66. Frogs’ legs
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake (all of them!)
68. Haggis
69. Fried plantain (from snack bags, and home made)
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette (I’ve had pepper pot soup made with chitterlings-does that count?)
71. Gazpacho
72. Caviar and blini
73. Louche absinthe
74. Gjetost, or brunost
75. Roadkill
76. Baijiu
77. Hostess Fruit Pie
78. Snail
79. Lapsang souchong (Its like drinking tar!)
80. Bellini
81. Tom yum
82. Eggs Benedict
83. Pocky
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant.
85. Kobe beef
86. Hare
87. Goulash
88. Flowers
89. Horse
90. Criollo chocolate
91. Spam
92. Soft shell crab
93. Rose harissa
94. Catfish
95. Mole poblano
96. Bagel and lox
97. Lobster Thermidor
98. Polenta
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee-yes the real thing.. and lots of other special coffees
100. Snake

4 comments:

Karen said...

I can see not eating spam, but bagel and lox?!? I don't like lox, or cream cheese, but I've eaten it to try it. Such a shameful NYer!! :)

teabird said...

I agree completely about Lapsang Souchong - it does taste like tar!

Knifty Knitter said...

As I was reading I was trying to think of the things I *had* eaten off the list and came up with very few! But, like you, I've had some other very odd things: octopus, chicken pate, and a host of foods from eastern Europe that I'm sure most people would turn their nose up at but I enjoy!

Tan said...

This list is super! I am borrowing it for my blog, OK?