Saturday, May 10, 2008

Strange, Strange... I know I am strange!

I've knit 8 to 10 shawls in the past 5 years –(that is, since I've started being somewhat methodical about keeping records and photographs)--more if you consider the soft lacy over sized scarves as small shawl.

I'm making yet another now. It's beautiful, the mohair is silky soft, the colors are like the sky, both day and night. The pattern, simple and enjoyable. In less than a week, enough yarn to knit 9+ inches lace have slipped between my fingers.

Before I started this shawl, I was in a slump and hadn't finished anything for almost a month—OK I got a hat knit, and a few inches on WIP, but the socks I've been working on since Bobmas Eve, haven't worked out as I envisioned, and have been frogged back to the toe.

But last weeks stash enhancement got me fired up. (this image is from earlier in the week, when I only had about 4, maybe 5 inches worked.

Thing is; I rarely wear shawls.

I love knitting them. I love the look of them, I love them. But I almost never were a shawl.

I've given 2 shawls to my DIL--she always has a scarf or lace shawl draped around her neck.. It thrills me when I see her wearing ones I've knit. She knits too, and many of her shawls are her own handywork—she also is pretty crafty, and fashions scarfs from fabric as well as knitting them.

But, there in a casual photo, of some everyday activity, I see it, round her shoulders and neck—something I've knit! I look at the photographs, I smile, and I gag!

I hate things wrapped round my neck--and I want to unwrap the shawl and let it loose! I see the shawl, and I feel, as I would feel myself: half strangled! I could never wear a scarf or shawl wrapped round my neck like that!

Same goes for some of my knitting friends.. I see them wrap and double wrap lace or wool, triangles or rectangles, round their necks and Ugh, I feel I can't breath just looking at them.

And here I am, knitting yet another shawl.. I'll wear it once or twice.. and likely it will sit in a drawer.

And then next month, or next season, or next year, I'll make another one.

4 comments:

zippiknits said...

I love that colors and design of your caplet. I'm not knitting much. Life is inside out and upside down right now, but in a happy way. :)

Happy Mother's Day, Troy.

Karen said...

Oh, you would have gagged at me this morning. A triangular shawl wrapped around my neck (and a turtleneck sweater underneath!) and I was toasty warm in the chilly NY air. Somehow though, it's taken me til now to realize that you CAN use a triangular shawl as a scarf. DUH. I forsee many more shawls in my future....to be wrapped around my neck. :)

Hope your mother's day was fantastic!

Shea said...

I, too, gag when I see things draped around a neck. I can't even wear turtlenecks anymore. It's a good thing we don't need many scarves in the winter in Atlanta.

Jena said...

I like the look of that shawl! I need to try one. I've made cowls and love how they keep me warm. But I think I'm like you--I probably wouldn't wear a shawl--too much fabric to deal with as I go about my day. But who knows. I need to try it.