Monday, July 16, 2007

Socks Finished

Heels done and all the weaving in of tails too!

Did you notice the little gusset near the heel? I've learned, for me, it always makes afterthought/peasant heels fit better to add one--you can see it here--

A dozen or so row before the heel placement, on the INSTEP side of the sock, begin adding stitches. 4 to 6 stitches at either edge (I place mine 1 stitch in from edge)--Increase 1 stitch (each side of the instep) every other row.

I use a lifted increase (easy-peasy on right side, no so much fun on left side) since I think this is one of the easiest tightest (no holes) increases.

If, (as in these socks) I complete my increases before I reach the right row for the heel, I just continue (in this case, 2 rows) knitting with no increases or decreases.

After working a row of waste yarn for the heel, I start decreasing, reversing the pattern and decreasing 1 stitch (each edge) until I am once again at the correct number of stitches.

Knitting 8 stitches to the inch, 2 sets of 4 stitch increase yields an extra inch of ease at the widest point of the heel.. and for me, make the difference between socks that fit, and socks that almost fit, (and are a pain to put on and take off).

I need to give a big thanks to Janis (aka Knit*Therapy), this sock yarn got me going.. (I haven't knit a pair of socks in 6 months!) I love how the finished sock looks, and can't wait for the fall to wear them!

The last skein of yarn has been dyed, too--for now. I'll need to get some more white wool and more dye stuff before I can continue. This skein is a bit lighter than I wanted—but still a nice cream-cicle orange. I'll keep it as is—and work for a darker orange at some point in the future.

Here is a flower of the newly colored yarns in my stash.


3 comments:

Rebecca Clayton said...

Gussets--gotta try it! Thanks for that tip; it might make me love afterthought heels.

sulu-design said...

Lovely colors, Helen. And the heel is fabulous. You're always great with the little details.

Nea said...

I love the color for these socks. I've been meaning to try an afterthought heel but I have yet to try it, yours look great by the way.