Sunday, July 22, 2007

socks fashion and politics

Getting stuck on a pair of socks, (these) made me forget how much I usually enjoy knitting socks.

My over dyed LB socks are moving along. I finished the heel, and gusset, and I am now half way through the long, plain knitting of the foot. (US size 9 feet means there are a few inches of foot to knit!)

I ended the leaf pattern (as I do most instep patterns) just after the gusset. I tend to wear practical no nonsense shoes—sometimes slip ons, some time oxfords, rarely mary-janes, and my shoes tend to come up rather high on the instep. I don't like the feel, usually, of lace, or ribs, or cables on my instep, inside of my shoes.

That's part of the fun of hand knit socks. Those idiosyncratic likes and dislikes we all have can be met and satisfied.




In a convoluted way, this links fashion with politics.

Not fashion the noun, but fashion the verb. Though The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition, claims that to CONTRIVE is an obsolete meaning of fashion, I would differ.

How does “To contrive” differ from “to give shape or form to”?

Fashion

NOUN:1. The prevailing style or custom, as in dress or behavior: out of fashion. 2. Something, such as a garment, that is in the current mode: a swimsuit that is the latest fashion. 3. The style characteristic of the social elite: a man of fashion. 4a. Manner or mode; way: Set the table in this fashion. b. A personal, often idiosyncratic manner: played the violin in his own curious fashion. 5. Kind or variety; sort: people of all fashions. 6. Shape or form; configuration.

TRANSITIVE VERB:Inflected forms: fash·ioned, fash·ion·ing, fash·ions
1. To give shape or form to; make: fashioned a table from a redwood burl. 2. To train or influence into a particular state or character. 3. To adapt, as to a purpose or an occasion; accommodate. 4. Obsolete To contrive.

IDIOM:after (or in) a fashion In some way or other, especially to a limited extent: She sings after a fashion.

ETYMOLOGY:Middle English facioun, from Old French fa├žon, appearance, manner, from Latin facti, factin-, a making, from factus, past participle of facere, to make, do.

So look at this info on the root! It is fascinating! See dh- in Appendix I.

I fashion socks (these may or may not conform to a current fashion—especial as giving in noun1!)

I personally chose what I want.



And these sort of personal choices are a form of politics.

Politics is personal, and politics is local.
Knitting (sock or other knitting) is both a personal choice and a political one.
Fashioning socks, or other clothing, be they fashionable or otherwise is a political choice.


One good deed accomplished this weekend—3 packages mailed, 1 box ready to mail (filled, sealed and addressed) and one more package addressed, and ready to go. And go they will Monday.


There is yet another package to be mailed, but it awaits an address.. an address I don't have, but as soon as I do, Off it will go.)
The three identical packages were sent to Chia, (a housewarming gift)
to Jennifer, (a thank you gift)
and to Ann, (also a knitter, and a computer user, but not a blogger) a cheer up package (she recently suffered a kitchen fire.)

All of them received a pair of Potholders...For Ann these,









For Chia, these









For Jennifer, these,









I really needed to get my act together, since I will have more things to send off next month, (and since the box is now a full month late (see Mea Culpa) I really need to do something!
The other package is to Vicky of Simple Knits (her blog is an unending source of visitors to my blog!)

7 comments:

Robyn said...

Hi Helen! Love your take on fashion (ing) and politics. And love those pot holders--great idea.

|chee-uh| said...

How nice! I can't wait to touch them. They are just what I needed too.

|chee-uh| said...

Speak of the devil....I just got them. They are lovely and much bigger than I expected. I can't wait to use them. Yaaaay!

Ann-Marie said...

ooooh those potholders are beautiful.i was scrolling around for a nice post to leave a comment for your contest---i found lots of nice posts, but those potholders caught me eye!!!

|chee-uh| said...

More compliments on the potholders. They are so soft! I showed my mother the night I received them and she says they are lovely and places them on her counter. I said, "Um, Just pick one." Compliments to you Helen!

Melanie said...

I am so jealous of your socks...one day I will venture into sock knitting. I hope. Love the potholders as well...so pretty and so different from the usual plain potholders. Nice job!

Vicki said...

A package for me? Must have gotten lost in the mail. So sad.
Vicki