Saturday, April 21, 2007

Take a Cotton to Knitting?

Well it’s day 8, and I now have 2 new bathmats, and Jill has 2 Potholders.

Both bathmats are about 20 by 26 inches, a nice size but not too large --NYC bathrooms, (and kitchens) unless you live in luxury, are the size of postage stamps.
This size bath matt will cover a good third of the ‘floor space’ available. (For scale, you can see size large slippers and some towels--the navy towel is a bath sheet, (30 by 60 inches or so)
And no, my bathroom doesn’t have wood floors--it’s a windowless room, so the photograph was taken in the living room.

I had all this cotton from a double knit potholder binge I went on some years ago.
Everyone got potholders then--my sisters, my daughter, her friends, some for me too. 5 years later, mine crisp black and whites have faded to greys--and are stained, and old looking (even if still quite servicable!)

I think I will continue with this cotton knitting and make my self some new potholders for myself.
Jill’s 2 are just the latest in a double knitting obsession that flares up and then wanes.
Note: Each pot holder has reversible designs.
I might knit up some cotton edging too, and gussy up some mixed/matched towels to make ‘sets’ --Paton’s Grace a fine, mercerized cotton --another cotton sitting in my stash--is my first choice.
Some more wash clothes too, since while my bathmats have effectively reduced my stash of kitchen/crafters cotton by half, I still have quite a few balls (full or nearly so) left.

3 comments:

Anne said...

Oh those are so cute!! I don't know how to double knit, but your potholders turned out just great!

Sarah said...

Ok, Thats it..... The obsession has been completely cemented!! I joined the dishcloth swap, and I think a divorce decree is on its way!!! Thank you for opening my eyes to the wonderful world of yarn addiction!
-Sarah

Mary said...

These are just great! Thanks so much for the tutorials and instructions. I've got a go-to place for potholders now.