Sunday, February 25, 2007

Socks--Swapped (part 1)

Sometime today, the US Mail delivered a tyvec envelope with 8 (count’em) 29¢ stamps to an address in the great state of Massachusetts. Inside are 1 pair of socks, (part of the Knitty.com coffeeshop swap) and 2 bonuses.

(And any day now, another postal employee should be delivering another pair of socks to Rego Park Queens)
Last October, in part of the great furniture exchange, I received several packets of old stamps. The stamps in some cases had stuck to the little cardboard folders (they kind they used to be packed in--How long ago was it that 1st class postage stamps became, universally, peel and stick? And how long ago was it that 1st class postage was 29cents?
They almost got thrown out. But I am way to frugal to toss stamps! (They are just another form of money!)
Well in any case.. 29*8=$2.32 and the correct postage for the package was $2.31--so 8 stamps did the trick!
Now as for the socks--(nothing will be said about the bonuses)

When making socks for someone else, its hard to know how they will fit.. You can have all the measurements in the world, but fit is fit.
So my plan to insure a good fit was to go with a ribbing.. Only plain ribbing is boring. The idea of sock exchange is fun socks. Plain ribbed socks not fun socks
So what’s the solution? A special, non boring rib.
Last year, (at about this time) I won first prize in a small (VERY, VERY SMALL) fair for a pair of socks with a twisted oblique rib. So I thought I would once again use that pattern.
The first socks were in Regia yarn, these new socks were knit in Calizetteria yarn.
The first socks were self striping, the new socks were striped from 2 different colors
And the finished look of the first pair is so different than the second, its hard to believe they are basically the same pattern!
Here there are side by side:





A second interesting aspect of the swap socks is how much the pattern does for the stripes.
The sole (not ribbed, D’oh) looks ho hum.
The striped, ribbed leg and instep--WOW.

It’s one of the things I love about knitting.. Sometimes I am still surprised by the finished object! I had an idea that I thought would look good, but was startled to find that it didn’t look good, it looks special and unique and just wonderful! And even though the ’knitting’ is just about the same in the yellow sock as in the blue, the finished socks look remarkably different!

As for the details of the socks, they were knit cuff down, with a tubular cast on to start,
Followed by a 1 X 1 ribbing for a deep cuff, (1.5 inches) then stripes of solid blue alternated with stripes of blue/lt blue/lt grey/charcoal grey color way. The color changes were short --just 3 to 5 stitches in a single color before changing.. They kind of yarn in my youth that was called variegated.

The heel is flap, turned, gusseted style, with a non traditional heel flap stitch, and a square or dutch turning. The twisted oblique ribbing continued down the instep, and the toe was a square toe to match the heel. --see the detail here.

The ribbing should provide enough snugness for a good fit--and blues? Well even I still wear denim and blue socks are a natural go with for denim.
(My eighty year old father commented recently, I still dress like I did when I was a teen--I looked at him, and said, don’t you too?)
I was very pleased with how these socks turned out.. I hope the recipient is too.

3 comments:

sulu-design said...

The original and the swapped pair do look so different, but both are lovely. And I love that you thought so much about fit when making socks for a stranger - the cool ribbing does the trick.

|chee-uh| said...

Very nice, can you tell me the rib pattern so I can make my own pair? Thanks!
Oh I know you read my blog, I was just poking fun at myself. I also know I need to get a damn camera. My webcam in my apartment of darkness is just not cutting it.

Oblique folders said...

Oblique provides organization systems for libraries, corporations, healthcare, education, government, corrections, printers etc..