Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Did I Mention I Am a Slow Learner?

I am smart. (vain too, but smart) but sometimes I am a slow learner.
Take Phyllotaxis. Last night a little past 7PM, I wrote this, (I was planning on taking photo’s and publishing it this AM.)
By Jove, I’ve got it.
Finally, I’ve got it! My foray into swatching inspired me to get cracking, and finish the Phyllotaxis scarf. Finally I have learned the ins and out of the pattern. I still need at this point to consult the graph, but I can ‘get it’ (understand what will happen to all 80 stitches in the row) with a glance. I hope at some point to learn it well enough that I don’t need to consult the graph at all.

Here is one side of the scarf, (as of this morning)





Last night at 7PM or so, I finished up the first ball of yarn. The pattern calls for about 1000 yards, and each ball of the yarn I am working with is about 250 yards, so I am ¼ done. The length at that point (I’ve worked a few more rounds/inches since then) was 16 inches, so the finished scarf should be about 60 to 64 inches --a nice length for man’s scarf. --Marker shows where I joined a new ball of yarn

Some one asked me why I didn’t just give up on the pattern when I was having problems.
Stubborn pride partly. I am sure I can, if I want, knit anything, from a technical point of view. And the pattern wasn’t so much hard as I wasn’t following or understanding what was needed, and why. I have designed patterns just as complex.
With my own designs, I have often worked through 2 or 3 attempts before getting the pattern to be what I want it to be. I knit lots of hats, some are OK, but very often, a hat design is worked several times, before I end up with the design I envisioned. Sometimes, the experiments along the way are quite acceptable --and can stand on there own as successful designs. But they are not what I wanted-- they are successful failures!
Each time I re-knit, learn something, and eventually, I get the final finished effect I want.

Between 7PM and 10 I finally really learned the pattern ( by then, I was on the 5 or so repeat of the pattern.)
Phyllotaxis Solved

Phyllotaxis is 2 row pattern. Round 1 is graphed, (80 stitches).
Round 2, is 81 stitches (every other round, the beginning of round position moves)
The remaining rounds of the pattern are the same as round 1, EXCEPT:
Each round starts at a different point in the graph.
Round 3 starts at stitch 33, (end at stitch 32)
Round 5 starts at stitch 65, (end at stitch 64)
Round 7 starts at stitch 17, (end at stitch 16)
Round 9 starts at stitch 49, (end at stitch 48)
Round 11 starts at stitch 11, (end at stitch 10)
Round 13 starts at stitch 33, (end at stitch 32)
Round 15 starts at stitch 65, (end at stitch 64)
Round 17 starts at stitch 17, (end at stitch 16)
Round 19 starts at stitch 49, (end at stitch 48)

You can see the how the Beginning of Round Marker moves with the pattern.

EVERY ROW OF THE PATTERN IS THE SAME.
THE ONLY THING THAT CHANGES IS THE STARTING POINT

How could I have not noticed this?

A 80 Stitch, 20 row pattern is an intimidating undertaking.

An 80 stitch pattern is a bit to learn, but it is quite do-able.

Normal people can quickly master repetitive patterns, even large ones.
If asked to sort the 52 cards in a deck into suites, and to organize each suite starting at 1 (the ace) and ending at the king, most 7 year olds would be up to the task. By age 10 or so, kids would be as fast as most adults. Humans are very good at creating and recognizing patterns.
And then, there is me. A slow learner. 100 repetitions, before I realized the pattern. Maybe I am not so smart as I think I am.

1 comment:

Rebecca Clayton said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! I have an old Joy of Cooking--I'll be trying the oatmeal bread soon!

This knitting pattern is quite handsome. I've been swatching some twist-stitch patterns the last few days. Is it something to do with the weather, do you suppose?