Monday, February 26, 2007

The Beginning of the End

Skein 3 bites the dust, and now the end is in sight…

Something interesting to note:
The first part of scarf (skein 1) is 16.5 inches long.
Skein 2 yielded 17 inches of scarf.
Skein 3 yielded 17.75 inches!






Now the scarf starts with 10 rounds of garter, and garter rows are tighter than stocking knit rows, so they could account for the difference between skein 1 and skein 2.
But almost another inch from skein 3? That is 4 rows of 80 stitches!
I haven’t been letting the knitting hang as I knit, it’s not stretching from the sheer weight of the knitting on needle.

Note also, I have been using a 29inch circ to work, and have a modified/half magic loop way of knitting.
I’ve joined each new skein by working 3 or 4 stitches with 2 strands (the old and the new) and will weave in the tails as part of finishing. (I don’t need to do much--the tubular design means no one will ever see the wrong side of the work and ends. )

It’s hard to know if my gauge has change slightly, as I knit faster knowing the pattern, or if the yardage of each skein is slightly different --a possibility--or what!

With 3 skeins knit, the scarf is now 51 inches long, , with another 16 inches the finished size will be close to 66 long--about 6 inches longer than the pattern suggest.



I have been mulling over ideas for a hat to match my wristlets…
I am pretty much decided on a stitch (tri colored linen) and that I will full the finished hat.

I’ve been mentally working out the pattern--it will be knit in 3 pieces, a shaped brim, a gusset, and the crown, but most likely will be knit together as I go, rather than seamed.

A classic almost medieval style pill box hat.

1 comment:

sulu-design said...

Ooooh... pill box hat. I'm looking forward to it!