Tuesday, February 27, 2007

And Now for something completely different...

Have you grown bored with the Phyllotaxis scarf?
I have! I don’t want to post anything else about it but IT IS FINISHED!

And I will l finish it --by the end of this week, and then I’ll start something new!
Yesterday, I stopped working on the scarf to make a swatch --for the planned hat to match wristlets. I decided on Linen stitch--a tricolor linen stitch--and swatched.


Amazing, isn’t it? Slip Stitch patterns are one of my favorite ways to use color--I learned this stitch 25 34 years ago! I first used it on baby clothes I knit when pregnant. Back in those day, pre-birth tests (for all sort of things) were very rare. And almost no one new ahead of time whether they were having a boy or girl--so many of the baby clothes I knit were pale (and dark) green, or pale (and bright) yellow or white. And some had all three colors! And one, I clearly remember making, had a yoke of tricolor linen stitch.

You’ll have noticed, I am sure, that the swatch is a slight rhombus in shape.
I started with size 8 needles, and the fabric was smooth and dense. But I want to full my finished hat, so half way through the swatch I switched to size 9 needles. (I might make another swatch on size 10’s, but I think that will be too loose. I don’t need a super loose drapy fabric to full, the way you do to felt. (I haven’t yet fulled my swatch)

TriColor Linen Stitch:
Cast on an even number of stitches--color A--
I used Long tail, so my first row is a wrong sided row..
Row 1: Drop color A, Pick up color B,P1 *P1, then bring yarn to back, as if to knit, Slip 1, bring yarn forward, repeat from * end with P1
Row 2: Drop color B, pick up color C, K1, *bring yarn to forward as if to purl, Slip1, bring yarn back, K1. Repeat from * end row with K1.
Row 3: At the completion of row 2, there will be 2 yarn on left edge of work, (color C, from just completed row) and color A.
Pick up color A; and P1 *P1, then bring yarn to back, as if to knit, Slip 1, bring yarn forward, repeat from * end with P1.
Row 4: At the completion of row 3, there will be 2 yarn on left edge of work, (color A, from just completed row) and color B.
Pick up color B; K1, *bring yarn to forward as if to purl, Slip1, bring yarn back, K1. Repeat from * end row with K1
Row 5: At the completion of row 4, there will be 2 yarn on left edge of work, (color B, from just completed row) and color C.
Pick up color C; and P1 *P1, then bring yarn to back, as if to knit, Slip 1, bring yarn forward, repeat from * end with P1.
Row 6: At the completion of row 5, there will be 2 yarn on left edge of work, (color C, from just completed row) and color A.
Pick up color A; K1, *bring yarn to forward as if to purl, Slip1, bring yarn back, K1. Repeat from * end row with K1

Basic Linen Stitch is a 2 row pattern, in each row, 1 stitched is worked, 1 slipped, with the bar of yarn from the slip stitch sitting on the front of the work.
The Tricolor Linen Stitch has 6 rows:
Pattern Row 1, color A
Pattern Row 2, color B
Pattern Row 1, color C
Pattern Row 2, color A
Pattern Row 1, color B
Pattern Row 2, color C

As each row is started, there will always be 2 strands/colors of yarn, the color just used, and the color dropped 2 rows previously.
The Color/strand of yarn dropped previously is always the one that will be used.

It looks good in a number of different color selections--high constrast colors look just as good as low contrast. The reverse side looks nothing like the front, but its very attractive, too!

7 comments:

Rebecca Clayton said...

Beautiful swatch! I enjoy these color/texture patterns, but I seldom do more than swatch them. A fulled hat is a great idea!

Nanette said...

I love slip stitch patterns as well so I'm not sure why I never do them. The colors you chose are gorgeous!

sulu-design said...

Love! And it's even better in person!

Asa said...

Like the colours, show us the hat when it's done.

knittherapy said...

If it's possible to drool on someone's blog, I'm doing it now... Gorgeous! And thanks for sharing. The phyllo-whatever is a beauty, too - love that color.

Sonya said...

Those are gorgeous colors Helen!

I LOVE YOU said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.