Saturday, September 02, 2006

Sun set and footsteps...

It’s another grey day today. It’s been a week of rain, or so it seems. Not all day rain, but grey skys, and intermittent rain.

It’s the weather, and as they say, if you don’t like it, wait a minute, (or a day or two) and it will change. I am waiting.

Today’s rain is the last remnants of hurricane/tropical storm Ernesto. It wouldn’t be so bad if felt tropical, but its chilly, 62° or so.

Not cold--but cool and damp. I was trying to remember that last sunny day, and remembered instead, the great sun set we had on Thursday.

I’ve lived in NYC all my life. And for a good percentage, I’ve lived high up.

As a child (and 9 or so) till 17, in my parents apartment, on the top floor (5th) almost on top of a hill—and not just any hill, but the end of the Kingsbridge Crescent. The crescent is a geological formation, and the second highest point in NYC (the highest being Todd Hill on Staten Island).

The apartment was a wonderful place. The living room had a huge window with a with western view (and an almost equal as good eastern view, but this was in my parents bedroom). The south facing windows got lots of light, and breezes, but they only afforded a view into the neighbor’s windows!

When I was first married, I lived in another 5th floor walk up apartment with a western view. The windows weren’t as big, but the view was less obstructed.

Our first house was in a low land (a former swamp actually!) but the second house, was on top of hill, and from my deck, I could see (well in the winter, when the trees were bare) a good percentage of the NYC skyline when looking west.

Currently, I live in a high up (14th floor) apartment that has a spectacular western view. It is a great delight. A view was one of my priorities when I was house (apartment) hunting.

Thursday, I was treated to this:







Can you see the plane that is flying by? (it starts at left, near the empire state building)

A few minutes later, the sky looked like this:



Not Knitting…
But Wednesday, at the Citicorp Knitting Meet, Barbara (aka knitnerd) ooh’d, and aah’d over my sneakers.


I bought them just a few weeks ago, (remained, end of season sale at target’s-$3.25!) and in a fit of insanity, decided to gussy them up.

There is no fun like the fun of making French knots, and bullion stitch roses on the toe of shoe (with your hand stuck in, to reach the needle.) I didn't plan or design really, I just started to embroider. Not perfectly successful, but fun!

3 comments:

turtlegirl76 said...

That's a helluva lot prettier than my view of the parking lot.

sulu-design said...

I think I may have posted a photo of that exact same sunset! What a beautiful one, huh?

jpknits said...

Great shoe embellishment!